|Wikimedia Community User Group Georgia|
(Wikimedia UG Georgia)
|სტატუსი||Non-Entrepreneurial (Non-Commercial) Legal Entity|
|დაარსების თარიღი||16 February 2015|
|დამტკიცების თარიღი||22 February 2015|
|სხვა ენები||Abkhazian, Mingrelian|
|საკვანძო პირები||Board Members|
|ბიუჯეტი||US$ 29 800 (2021)|
|მოხსენებები||see by years|
Wikimedia Community User Group Georgia (Georgian: ვიკიმედიის მომხმარებელთა საქართველოს ჯგუფი), also UG-GE or Wikimedia UG Georgia, is an officially registered non-profit (non-commercial) legal entity representing the Wikimedia Foundation User Group. The Wikimedia Foundation is a US-based nonprofit organization that operates and manages the Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia UG Georgia created in 2015 by active members of Wikimedia contributors living in Georgia, who are interested in organizing and participating in outreach activities on a national level. It aims to promote and participate in the projects offered by the Wikimedia Foundation and to organize the Georgian community. One of its core missions is to aid and encourage people to collect, develop and disseminate knowledge and other educational, cultural and historic content in the public domain or other licenses that allows everyone to freely use the knowledge, and to distribute and modify said content for free.
Wikimedia Community User Group Georgia shares the vision statement of the Wikimedia Foundation: „Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.“
The mission of Wikimedia Community User Group Georgia is to aid and encourage Georgians to collect, develop and disseminate knowledge and other educational, cultural and historic content in the public domain or other licenses that allows everyone to freely use the knowledge, and to distribute and modify said content for free. Also, promotion of Knowledge (initiation and stimulation of public interest in Knowledge and in means of creation, development and spreading of Knowledge and access to it), promote access to knowledge and education for all citizens, regardless of their social or other status, to organize such access, assist in the preparation of laws and other normative acts that promote knowledge creation, accumulation, development and dissemination. Our mission and goals are consistent with our organization’s Bylaws.
- Encourage the creation, accumulation (collection and storage), development (updating, systematization, structuring) and dissemination of any encyclopedic, educational, scientific, reference information and other knowledge generally available and permitted.
- Assistance in reflection of Knowledge accumulated by peoples of Georgia in international projects for creation, collection, development and spreading of Knowledge.
- Promote awareness of the Georgian Wikimedia projects;
- Engage the community and gain new contributors for the User Group and Wikimedia projects;
- Cooperate with other institutions with similar missions and visions to promote free knowledge movement in Georgia;
- Legalization of FoP in Georgia;
- Work on the formation of Wikimedia Georgia chapter;
- Increase content about Georgia in Commons.
Wikimedia UG Georgia conducts various activities to popularize the Wikimedia movement in Georgia, as well as to develop Wikimedia projects in Georgian language. Some of the activities are:
- Regular meetings of members of the Wikimedia UG Georgia, members of the Wikimedia UG Georgia Board and editors of the Georgian Wikipedia. Such meetings help the community to work in a more coordinated way. Also, such meetings help to quickly deal with any problems that exist in the community. At these meetings, the community sets goals and plans various activities.
- Training on Wiki technology and work on Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Commons, Wiktionary, Wikiquote, Wikidata and etc.). Trainings are held for different people and organizations, for teachers, lecturers, students, interested persons, for representatives of different organizations (non-governmental and government institutions). The trainings are conducted by the representatives of the Wikimedia UG Georgia and the editors of the Georgian Wikipedia.
- Cooperation with various organizations (NGO & etc.) and government structures are our main goals. We are trying to cooperate with all the structures, conducting joint projects. It is very important for us to cooperate with everyone for the development of Wikimedia projects in Georgia.
- Lectures at various educational institutes and organizations are an important part of our work, since such events give us the opportunity to familiarize the public with Wikimedia projects and its importance. At such events, we also talk about the importance of free knowledge and its promotion on a free platform under a free license.
- Workshops is a brief intensive course of education for a small group, aimed at teaching newcomers the basics of editing Wikimedia projects. These workshops are also designed for experienced editors who can take on new skills during these sessions. Wikimedia UG Georgia organizes such workshops for everyone.
- Editathons and the open competition proved to be one of the best ways to lessen content gaps that are identified, bring new content on specific topic and new editors into Wikimedia projects.
- WikiCamps are educational camps, the main goal of which is the education of participants through Wikipedia, Wikiquote, Commons and other Wikimedia projects. During WikiCamps young people, to acquire skills in Wikimedia projects. Young people will study the wiki-technology and then under the supervision of experienced WikiMedians will independently create and translate articles in Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects. The main goal of the camp, to attract more young people (and not only) to work in Wikimedia projects.
- Conference is annual forum dedicated to the development of Wikimedia projects in Georgia, as well as issues related to knowledge creation and dissemination.
If you want to join us and together with us, on a volunteer basis, develop and improve Wikimedia projects, please click below on the joining button, sign and become a volunteer of our User Group. On this page you can find a complete list of our volunteers.
Wikimedia UG Georgia is an open membership Organization, so anyone who meets the requirements of UG can become a member of our Organization. To become a member of UG click here.
Wikimedia UG Georgia, as a responsible organization and part of the Wikimedia movement, annually presents a report (Activity and Financial) with its activities to community. The reports are given by years and are available both on the Meta-Wiki and on the official administrative site of Wikimedia UG Georgia (here). Please check out our reports on the Meta-Wiki or here.
Participation in regional and global Wikimedia events
- UG Approval